windirstat found this, can I delete it

al's left peg 21:20 14 Mar 10

Hi guys,

I have downloaded the WinDirStat app which is one of the seven tune up apps which can be downloaded from the PC Advisor web site. It is to show you where your disc space is being used and what is using it.
I have had it check my drive and it is showing this: Vista C: windows-users-unknown (percentage)21.9 (size)12.7gb.
When I click on the individual items it shows info like this:C:\Windows\Temp\WERFA9A.tmp.hdmp.

As it is using 12.7gb, would it be safe to delete all these files without damaging my computer?
Any advice greatly appreciatted.

MAJ 21:53 14 Mar 10

Yes you can usually safely delete temp files older than 24 hours, but to be on the safe side it is always better to back them up first. A double extension would always prompt me to run a virus scan and an antispyware scan, again, just to be sure. Try MBAM. click here

MAJ 21:57 14 Mar 10

It would appear that the .hdmp extension means that the files are compressed error reports that are usually sent to Microsoft, so if you chose not to send them then that's why they are stored on your hard drive. They would be safe to delete.

MAJ 21:57 14 Mar 10

It would appear that the .hdmp extension means that the files are compressed error reports that are usually sent to Microsoft, so if you chose not to send them then that's why they are stored on your hard drive. They would be safe to delete.

al's left peg 20:45 15 Mar 10

Thanks MAJ for the advice, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I will give your suggestions a try and report back to inform you of the results.
Regards,
Al.

al's left peg 20:58 15 Mar 10

Something funny here. I did not delete the files mentioned above last night, but just ran WinDirStat again and it now showing .dmp files as 1.9gb only. Not the 12.7gb it was last night, I will create a system restore point and delete the 1.9gb and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…