WINDAT FILES EMAIL ATTACHMENT

samuelay 09:48 01 Jul 03

A friend tells me that everytime he receives an email from me there is an attachment marked WINDAT. When he opens it there is nothing attached, and it is virus scanned by his protection device. Nobody else in my address book gets an unwanted atachment!
Any idea what's going on? I have Norton Anti-virus which scnas prior to sending emails.

Sir Radfordin 10:03 01 Jul 03

click here for a vauge explination.

Basically you need to change from sending HTML emails (whic is unsafe anyway so you should do this) and send them in Rich Text.

samuelay 10:10 01 Jul 03

Thanks for that. Just realised - but don't know if it's significant - that the recipient of these bogus attachments is the only person in my address book woith Windows XP. Significant?

Jester2K II 10:12 01 Jul 03

He's using a non Micorsoft E-mail client??

Bramblerose 11:03 01 Jul 03

If you send in Rich Text or HTML, you can get these winmail.dat files - I used to send them to everyone!!

Change to plain text. Also go to your address book and click on properties for each of your contacts and under the "name" tab make sure the "send email using plain text" box is ticked.

This should work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…