Winchester compatible motherboards

Joe R 18:58 11 Apr 05

I have ordered an Athlon64 3500 winchester core cpu, but find it hard to find out which motherboards are compatible with this core, without firstly flashing the bios.

Can anyone let me know where I can find one, preferably sub £100. Thanks.

Technotiger 19:02 11 Apr 05

Had a look here?

click here

Cheers.

Joe R 19:27 11 Apr 05

Technotiger,

thanks for your response. I had already tried a search on google, and for each one that posted it was compatible, another said it wasn't.

I'm really looking for someone who has one of these cpu's working straight out of the box with a mobo under the same conditions.

Technotiger 19:34 11 Apr 05

OK Joe R, I will have to leave you then - others will no doubt come to your aid.

Cheers.

gudgulf 20:30 11 Apr 05

Why not look for reviews of the Winchester core chips and base your choice on the review system boards? Start with Toms Hardware Guide click here

TonyAA 21:48 11 Apr 05

All you have to look for is a socket 939 motherboard made by Asus,Abit,Gigabyte,MSI etc., etc. The Winchester core of the 3500 PSU is 90nm and gives slightly better performance and is cooler than the 130nm core of the 3500 Newcastle CPU but they both have 939 pins and fit into the same boards.You don't normally have to flash the bios on the latest motherboard.
Look for pins not for cores you should find dozens of boards.

Joe R 22:08 11 Apr 05

Thank you all for your replies, I've finally settled on an EPoX EP-9NPA+, from Komplett, who also replied to an e-mail within ten minutes.

Seemingly any socket 939 with pci express, are fully compatible without a bios upgrade.

Thank you all for your help, it is amazing when people give the time to help others, and very comforting.

Thanks again. Joe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…