Winantivirus question.

SB23 19:27 25 Mar 07

I seem unable to search the forum at the mo, so am sorry to have to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but, my sister has just rung me to ask about annoying popups she is getting. The minute she mentioned Winantivirus I knew it wasn't good.
I've had popups while searching on Aol, but never any problems, so my question is how do you get infected with this horrible little program, (so I can inform my sister),and how do you shift it?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Technotiger 19:39 25 Mar 07

Googled - the first entry, perhaps?

click here

Stuartli 19:41 25 Mar 07

The Search function has been a pain recently...:-(

See:

click here

click here

click here (you'll get a weird "Hello" on this site!)

SB23 19:50 25 Mar 07

Technotiger

Thanks for the link, but I've read that Xoftspy doesn't work, it only removes cookies.

Stuartli

I'll pass those on. But I don't understand how you get this in the first place?
I had a big page popup last year, that told me all in red that my current pc security was sadly lacking, and that their program could help. Do you actually have to click on something to get this nasty?

Stuartli 20:31 25 Mar 07

I've never come across Winantivirus myself but if, for any reason you clicked on the popup anywhere, then you would most likely have activated the link.

I don't get popups because they are Disabled/Blocked in both Firefox and IE.

SB23 20:44 25 Mar 07

I've blocked popups too, but still seem to get the odd few.
When I had the popup I just closed it down, but either my sis or her husband must have clicked within the new window. From what I've read about this, it appears they scare the user into seeking help, after displaying what I had on my screen about my security, or suggesting the lack of security, it would make you think. I remember looking twice!

beynac 22:01 25 Mar 07

Try Rogue Remover: click here

- Download RogueRemover and save it on your desktop.
- Right-click on RogueRemover.zip
- Select Extract All...
- When the wizard opens, click Next then Finish
- A folder will open. Double-click on RogueRemoverInstall.exe
- Follow the prompts to install the program
- Run the program and select Scan
- The program will take you through the remaining steps
- Reboot your computer

SB23 10:37 26 Mar 07

Thanks to all, going to tick as resolved, I've given my sis all the links and info, as I'm over an hour away so can't do it for her.

Thanks again

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…