winamp 5 sound problem

carlos 11:41 30 Jan 04

Just downloaded the latest Winamp, but altho it plays my MP3s I can't get any sound! Got Win XP. I can play them/hear them using other players( Windows media player, ATI player, for example). I had no problem with the previous version. I have deleted and redownloaded Winamp.....same problem.Must be a button somewhere......?
NB. This is on my home PC. Just wanted to see what would happen on my work one( also XP). Main diff is that I actually read the recommended d'load instructions from Winamp this time!( works fine) At home I d'loaded the exe file and loaded from desktop. Winamp recommend running from site. Would this cause my problem?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

carlos 20:44 30 Jan 04

At work..worked well! Just did same at home.....still no sound. Be grateful for any ideas. Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 20:48 30 Jan 04

Will it play CDs?

carlos 21:27 30 Jan 04

nothing. Thanks for input. been with winamp from beginning. OK 'til now

Diodorus Siculus 21:39 30 Jan 04

Can you uninstall all versions of WinAmp, run a regcleaner, and install the latest one again? It might work.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:43 30 Jan 04

Do u have the same sound card at home as u have at work? it may be a driver issue,i been useing winamp 5 for a couple of months and it been spot on can watch music videos listen to radio ,worth sticking with it.Have you associated winamp with all your music files or just mp3? i just have mine for those and wave the others i let wmp9 run.

Regards.

carlos 14:24 01 Feb 04

Went thro and did as suggested....no result. I have fixed it now, but not quite sure what it all means. Anyone, please explain what's happened:Got a Gamesurround Muse PCI sound card( shows as such in hardware devices under system icon) and 5.1 speakers. If I open sound/audio devices icon in control panel ( XP), under the audio tab there is "C-media wave device" under audio playback. If I open the options, preferences in Winamp and open "output" under "plug ins", there are three options in Rpanel: Nullsoft, Direct sound and waveout.I have direct sound highlighted. If I open "configure", "device", the box had " primary sound driver" entered. When I pulled down this box to see if there were any options....lo and behold, another device "C - media wave device" is there. As soon as I selected this instead ( and also allowed for hardware acceleration -what does this mean??)the sound is not even as it was but, somehow much better( or is that just me lol?????). Any info would be most avidly read and absorbed. I wonder if Flecc would have any advice, given his expertise in the sound field???

carlos 20:07 03 Feb 04

would be very interested in comments/advice/explanations on my solution
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…