win98se upgrade

joe95 15:30 06 Aug 04

Could anyone point me in the direction of a win98se upgrade disc have 98 running on better halfs machine want to upgrade.PC is an HP Pavilion approx 6yrs old, win98 came pre-installed.
thanks
joe

TommyRed 17:06 06 Aug 04

Found this one on e-bay, HTH TR click here

woodchip 17:09 06 Aug 04

You cannot upgrade from98 to 98se you have to buy the full disc as I did on Ebay and remove all on drive and reload clean

woodchip 17:10 06 Aug 04

the 98se Upgrade is for those still running 95

Cuddles 00:25 07 Aug 04

I have upgraded several machines running win98 first edition to win98se with upgrade disc.

Smegs 00:29 07 Aug 04

Agree with you on this one. I have Win 98, then a Win98se disk.

I can put Win98 on, then install the Win98se disk over Win98.

joe95 10:04 07 Aug 04

I have tried installing Win98se over the top but get message this can't be done it needs upgrade discmanaged to borrow one but it still will not upgrade.Popped into local computer shop was told because the software installed was specically for HP machines I would probably have replace some parts ie motherboard etc and it wasn't worth doing any comments please.
thanks Joe

Valvegrid 14:11 07 Aug 04

"the software installed was specifically for HP machines I would probably have replace some parts ie motherboard etc" Sounds like they were trying to sell you a new computer. I'm running an HP Pavilion which originally had XP preinstalled on it. I didn't want that, so I reformatted the drive, loaded my Windows 98SE added another drive and now dual boot with Linux.

You can get all the necessary drivers from HP and the mobo drivers from the maker of the board, in my case Asus.

As far as upgrading goes, we did that to one of our computers at work that had Win 95 on it but in the end we clean installed Win 98SE, it worked much better.

joe95 18:39 07 Aug 04

Valvegrid.
Thanks for the info but what is involved with formatting your hard drive sounds awfully scary.
Joe

VoG II 18:56 07 Aug 04

This might work click here

Valvegrid 19:57 07 Aug 04

Yes, I agree it looks a bit daunting when you first read through what you've got to do, but after you've done it a couple of times you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Have a look at this site and see how you feel about a clean install:

click here

Don't forget there's people here who will always help you.

VoG™, yes that does work from 95 to 98, but he wants to go from 98 to 98SE, at the back of my mind somewhere there's something about not being possble because the two aren't quite compatable, but having a senior moment I can't remember.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…