Win98se troublesome boot ini (boot loader)

JINXED02 23:16 13 May 05

Summary
===========
Up until recently my pc consisted of 2x40gig hdd drives being used under win98se.

I left the hdd with win98se on and removed the other as this was just a storage device.
-----------------------
After formating and allocating the partitions where they were requied I then installed xp pro in ntfs format, thus giving me a dual booting system and everything worked fine.
-----------------------
Partition table windows98se 40gig fat32
xp pro 80gig ntfs
-----------------------

Anyhow after restarting and going back into win98se I found that the hdd size was wrong way off wrong in size, so this kind of screwed up my installation. Later after doing some reading on the web I found that fdisk apparently has problems with large size disks over 64gig and that there was a patch availble, little bit late now I thought, so there was only one thing for it.. start from scratch

I've taken the 120gig hdd out and left my win98se os in, so leaving a pc operable, but the boot loader has changed:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

And keeps asking for xp pro, or restarting my pc, anyone have any ideas how to correct this.

woodchip 00:01 14 May 05

To Restore your Windows Master boot Record, Start with Win98se boot floppy startup disc, at A:\>type FDISK /MBR press enter restart computer and it should now be back to normal Win98se

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…