win98se swiches off during startup logo

Newusered 17:57 28 Oct 03

after using norton live update, i was told to restart windows. after restart it switched off as soon as startup logo shows. been to symantec site windows knowlege base, google noting so far. have loades defaults in bios. this is second win98se machine this has happened to microsoft no longer support win98 coincidence or what. any suggestions gratefully received

woodchip 18:02 28 Oct 03

Start with Win98 floppy disc. At A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE and pic a date before the update

Mankster 18:07 28 Oct 03

as colin says but dont forget space between
SCANREG /RESTORE
^

woodchip 18:11 28 Oct 03

Space doesn?t matter check it your self I use it on other peoples comps to put matters right, the Quick way. If possible

woodchip 18:13 28 Oct 03

Just a point bit you are only allowed two spaces in a line of DOS syntax so beware.

Newusered 13:16 30 Oct 03

after putting scareg.exe on my start up floppy i was able to go back to a good regitry or at least one that started but windows still switched off as the startup logo displayed.

woodchip 15:03 30 Oct 03

Try this keep pressing F8 when you start computer choose safe mode, Go to Start/Run type MSCONFIG press OK go to startup tab and remove all the ticks except System Tray and try a reboot

woodchip 15:05 30 Oct 03

you could also try starting as normal but hold the shift key down until you get into windows

Newusered 20:56 06 Nov 03

after trying everything else the final straw was when norton ghost wouldn't recognize the second cd. so formated C: and am now re-installing. thanks for your help.ed

flecc 21:10 06 Nov 03

Microsoft do still support Windows 98, it's in the "extended" phase of support.

Their policy is five years of mainstream support plus two years of extended support when help is still available when asked for. So a year to go yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…