Win98se - protection error on startup

jaydeeace 12:04 01 Feb 04

Hi all,
Having serious problems with Windows on startup - can only start in 640 x 480 in 16 colours, anything else leads to a windows protection error before getting into the Windows interface. Not my computer, therefore I don't fancy a re-install of WIndows - also, computer shop installed oem version, and didn't supply a backup disk, just a license.
All help appreciated,
JD

P.S: This happened after updating PC-Cillin 2000 last night, but I can't quite see the connection.

curlylad 12:29 01 Feb 04

You say you can only start up in 640x480 and 16 colours , does this mean that you can then change colours/screen area through control panel after start up ?
If not then it sounds like you may have to reinstall device driver for your graphics.
If you dont know which one is yours , then download this click here and click download from the left hand side of the screen .This will then not only tell you what driver you need it will also give you a link to it.
Hope this helps , let us know how you get on .

jaydeeace 13:02 01 Feb 04

Yeah, I've got hold of the latest drivers for the chipset, I'll install them now.
I was afraid it might be something serious, as changing the settings led to the protection error message. Scenario goes like this:
1. Error message on boot-up
2. Restart in Safe Mode
3. Restart in 'Normal mode' with 640 x 480
4. Change settings
5. Restart in 'normal' mode and get error message
6. Return to step 2... >:(

I remember I used to have problems like this with my old Voodoo 1 (!), but I hope nothing has corrupted any deeper then the gfx drivers.
Will let you know how I get on anyway!
Cheers curly,
JD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…