Win98SE Hard-disk size, partition dualboot Win XP

Jeecie 13:21 04 Apr 05

Hi! I am about to embark on new upgrade territory for me...

Currently: Win 98SE, 20GB hard disk (only 7GB left free), CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM.

Motherboard is GA-6VX7-4X… 2 IDE bus master (DMA 33/ ATA 66) IDE ports for upto 4 ATAPI devices. The mobo supports PIO mode 3, 4 (UDMA33/ATA66) IDE & CD-ROM

Bought: Win XP Home Edition (Upgrade), Drive Image, Partition Magic.

Want to buy a extra hard-disk... so I can create a dual-boot system + partition new disk so I can back-up images of my system + keep a separate partition for data (My Documents, Photos etc.).

I heard somewhere that Win 98 SE doesn't like large disks?
What’s the biggest size I can go for - and how many partitions do I need to create (& what sizes should I make them…. P.S. I will still be keeping my 20GB drive).

Are these models any good for my needs?
Barracuda 200GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM (Seagate Part Number: ST3200822A) click here

Barracuda U100 80Gb 2mb Cache 7200RPM HDD OEM (Seagate Part Number: ST380011A) click here

Plus, do I need to worry about the power supply too?

Or… am I better off going for a DVD-RW/R drive to replace my old DVD-ROM (would this be more/less cost effective factoring costs of DVD-R/RW disks verses cost per GB of hard-disk).

Thanks loads for any advice guys 'n' gals ?

Trackrat 13:44 04 Apr 05

Before you go any further how much memory has your computer got?.

Jeecie 14:01 04 Apr 05

I have 3 sticks of RAM 128 + 256 (but when loaded, up & running Windows my FREE RAM XP PRO 1.4 software only shows approx. 250MB as being free).

Jeecie 14:02 04 Apr 05

Sorry 2 sticks installed (128 + 256)
Bought a 3rd (new) 512MB stick but not installed it yet.

woodchip 14:06 04 Apr 05

I have that Seagate disc but using it as an External usb drive on Win98se and XP comps. A lot depends on the age of your computer and BIOS on the size you can use. You can use a Disc Overlay software like Seagate own, or if it was a Maxtor it would be Maxblast but for me I would not use the software.

PS I have just setup a Targa external 250gb but it cannot use two of the partitions on Win98se although they are seen in Explorer. It is OK on my WinXP desktop it sees it all.

Jeecie 17:34 04 Apr 05

I heard somewhere that Win 98 SE doesn't like large disks? What’s the biggest size I can go for - and how many partitions do I need to create (& what sizes should I make them…. P.S. I will still be keeping my 20GB drive).

I don't want to get too big a disk - and end up with millions or partitions if Win 98 SE can only cope with a max.size of partition.

Plus... what does DMA 33/ ATA 66 mean? The Seagate Barracuda hard disk models I've looked at above have 200 GB = ATA-100, 80 GB = DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) does this mean they won't work with my ATA-66 compatible mobo?

griffon 56 18:02 04 Apr 05

Hi Jeecie,

I'm running a Win98SE/XP dual boot system on a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 mobo with a modest Duron 950 and a Maxtor 40G HDD, and it all works fine with two equal 20G partitions. The system has also been run with a 6.1G HDD installed as a slave.

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that Win98SE doesn't like HDD's bigger than 160G but perhaps the Microsoft Knowledge Base would have something on that.

DMA with a number means 'Direct Memory Access' and UDMA is Ultra DMA. The number is the speed in Mhz that it will take place. ATA I think means 'American Technology Advanced' and means the same. Higher ATA hard drives are backwards compatible with slower ATA systems, but they are constrained to run at the lower speed so you don't gain any advantage by having a whizz bang HDD in an old mobo. It's the same with memory, PC133 will not run at 133MHz in an ATA66 mobo but it will work at the lower speed.

Jeecie 08:39 05 Apr 05

....does that then mean (if the 160GB limit holds true) that I can keep my existing 20GB HDD and along side it have a 160GB HDD too...
....or can Win 98SE only see 160GB in total (across many hard disk drives)?

In which case would I need my 20G + 2nd HDD to a max. size of 140GB (20 + 140 = 160 max.?)

Or yet another idea.. can Win 98SE see partiniot of a max 160 size... in which case can I get a 2nd HDD as big as I like as long as I create multiple partitions on it each to a max. size of 160 each?
P.S. I searched the MS knowledge base prior to starting my thread here & didn't find much in the way of answers here's links to Ms articles I did find though (in case they're helpful to anyone else browsing this thread!) "Duplicating Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Installation to a New Hard Disk" click here;en-us;166172 and "Windows Support for Large IDE Hard Disks" click here;en-us;126855

... oh, and here's another article I found too click here

Jeecie 08:42 05 Apr 05

Whoops those knowledge base links didn't work... try searching under the Article ID no.s instead...

Article ID : 166172 = "Duplicating Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Installation to a New Hard Disk"

Article ID : 126855 = "Windows Support for Large IDE Hard Disks"

Jeecie 14:06 05 Apr 05

....does that then mean (if the 160GB limit holds true) that I can keep my existing 20GB HDD and along side it have a 160GB HDD too... ....or can Win 98SE only see 160GB in total (across many hard disk drives)?
In which case would I need my 20G + 2nd HDD to a max. size of 140GB (20 + 140 = 160 max.?)

Or yet another idea.. can Win 98SE see partiniot of a max 160 size... in which case can I get a 2nd HDD as big as I like as long as I create multiple partitions on it each to a max. size of 160 each? P.S. I searched the MS knowledge base prior to starting my thread here & didn't find much in the way of answers here's links to Ms articles I did find though (in case they're helpful to anyone else browsing this thread!)

Article ID : 166172 = "Duplicating Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Installation to a New Hard Disk"

Article ID : 126855 = "Windows Support for Large IDE Hard Disks"

... oh, and here's another article I found too click here

Jeecie 18:55 06 Apr 05

Any more thought for me folks?
I'm still not sure what size hard disk to purchase & how many/what size partitions to splut it into... all thoughts welcome!!

P.S. My PC now needs a new hard disk as it refuse to boot-up (won't do Safe Mode either) and attempting to re-install Win 98SE fails... so a friend suggested buying a new (2nd hard-disk... which I want to do anyway - so no money lost there) and he said I should install Windows as a fresh OS onto the new HDD. Make the new HDD the "master", make the old 20GB HDD the "slave" then copy across data/files from the old HDD to the new one. This approach (I hope) would prevent me having to format the old 20GB drive, and so avoid me wiping out all my emails, data, photos, downloads/patches etc. I've collected in the past 4+ years!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…