Win98SE Hangs at 2nd Windows screen at Startup

griffon 56 01:01 23 Jan 05

Since a system reload Win98SE hangs the second time a Microsoft Windows98 screen appears and will not pass this point. Pressing the reset button or restarting results in the appearance of the 'Safe Mode' menu. If 'Normal Start' or 'Start up with confirmation' is selected everything goes OK. I understand these MS Windows98 screens can be disabled. Can anyone help?

tonyuk72 01:47 23 Jan 05

You say that you have reloaded the machine, the first thing to do is too:

Load windows 98se in safe mode, you will probably have to navigate using the keyboard as there will not be a mouse!! Use your tab key to highlight my computer. Once this is done press the key which looks like a menu on your keyboard (Usually 3rd key from right hand side of space bar) and select properties from the pop up menu!!

Use your arrow keys to open up the "Device Manager Tab" where you will most probably find some of the items with either a red cross or an exclamation mark.

Go through each one selecting properties, and installing the correct drivers for each. You may be prompted to resart your computer after each one, if the computer fails to start after installing a driver simply use the safe mode and go onto the next using the above proceedure.

HTH

Diemmess 10:12 23 Jan 05

You "have reloaded the machine"? Do you mean a clean re-install, or a repair by overwriting with the 98SE disk, or something else?

Stalling at the Windows 2nd splash screen is a symptom, not likely to be the cause of your trouble. The picture is to remind you that it is doing something, the alternative would be a black background with just a blinking cursor.

If you can say exactly what you last did before the trouble it will give would-be helpers a lead.

ACOLYTE 10:21 23 Jan 05

Im not sure but i think if you press the Esc button it makes the windows screen go away so you can see what goes on under it,whats loading etc,may give you a clue as to what it sticks on.

griffon 56 22:58 23 Jan 05

Thanks for your suggestions. It was a clean reinstall, the keyboard and mouse are functional and pressing the ESC key does not make the unwanted screen go away. Reinstalling the system was all I did before the fault arose, and, owing to the age of it, I don't have a third key to the right of the space bar on the KB.

However, Diemmess gives me an idea in his last sentence. I don't like a lot of programs loading at Start Up so I have pared the Start Up menu down to Scan Registry and Systray. I've unchecked all the rest and one of those might hold the answer. I'll go back into it and recheck a few and let you know. But, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that these unnecessary splash screens can be disabled and speed up the start process. Any ideas?

griffon 56 00:29 24 Jan 05

P.S. One at a time I rechecked 'Load Power Profile' and 'Still Image Monitor' in the Start Up tab of msconfig. The problem went away with either of them checked, and it didn't reappear when I unchecked them both again, so I still don't know what caused the problem. However, they are both rechecked for luck and there has been no problem in several recent restarts. Sorted, thanks again.

ACOLYTE 00:40 24 Jan 05

Was just a thought i remembered doing it on my 98 pc on the first boot screen and it used to make it go away so you could see under it.Glad its sorted.

Diemmess 10:53 24 Jan 05

Don't know if this is what you want click here it might be.

griffon 56 13:12 21 Feb 05

Thanks Diemmess, that's exactly what I wanted. I've been away so I've only just seen it but I'm going to try it now and I'll post the results.

That site looks very useful and has been saved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…