Win98SE Defrag stops and suggests run Scandisk.

sinfield 19:18 25 Jan 03

When trying to defrag my second HDD I get a message saying that there is a disk problem on drive D and that I should run Scandisk to solve the problem. Scandisk reports "no errors" and indeed the disc operate quite normally except for the defrag problem. The system works normally barring the above problem.

obbit 19:43 25 Jan 03

Hi sinfield.......have u done a thorough scan and set automatically fix errors.

obbit

BRYNIT 20:07 25 Jan 03

I agree with obbit a thorough scan will check the whole of your hard drive for bad files or sectors. Could take a few hours if you have a large drive.

obbit 20:11 25 Jan 03

You may get scraping noises as well but this is ok

nice one BRYNIT

regards

obbit

sinfield 09:29 26 Jan 03

Thanks guys. Yes I've done a thorough scan and Scandisk still reports "No Errors found".
Defrag still says there is a problem. I'm in a loop!

AMD 4 ever 09:39 26 Jan 03

Try disabling any Anti-Viruses and firewalls you have. then try to defrag. Failing that you might have to boot to safe mode and run defrag.

scoat fell 09:42 26 Jan 03

I've run defrag in safe mode, it says its all ok, but when I reboot I get the same message about a file that has problems and I should run the windows defrag - I've given up on it

scoat fell 09:42 26 Jan 03

I've run defrag in safe mode, it says its all ok, but when I reboot I get the same message about a file that has problems and I should run the windows defrag - I've given up on it

AMD 4 ever 14:35 26 Jan 03

Just checked in and realised i meant to say...Scandisk>thorough. sos.

LAMINA 14:39 26 Jan 03

try getting hold of diskeeper it does the same job ... you usually find the lite version free on a cover disk somewhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…