WIN98SE can't find hh.exe

polymath 21:03 20 Jul 03

A non-urgent, but annoying problem; when I try to access Windows Help, Windows can't find hh.exe or one of its components, and advises making sure the path & filename are correct & all required libraries available.

There's a copy of hh.exe in C:\Windows\options\cabs. I can't find a way of specifying a path (not with the Help shortcut in the Start menu, anyway).

I've a vague idea that the Cabs folder is for enabling Windows features from? But I don't know if I should copy the file to somewhere.

I haven't found anything that looks relevant that isn't enabled in Windows Components.

I can't trace the problem back to anything I did, as it's existed since I've had this computer (2 or 3 years). It hasn't been a priority (largely due to the excellence of this forum!)

I'll have to go in a few minutes, - connection problems have been slowing me down, so please forgive my disappearance. Back tomorrow evening.

VoG II 21:12 20 Jul 03

How to extract from cab file click here

beeuuem 23:43 20 Jul 03

If you have trouble extracting the file try running System File Checker (Start > Run type sfc and click OK)) with the settings at check for altered and deleted files.
You'll be prompted to restore any corrupted/deleted files from your CD, including hh.exe. I know it works for hh.exe as it has restored it for me in the distant past.

polymath 20:18 21 Jul 03

Thanks, Vog and beeuuem.
It just happens I used system file checker recently, acting on all its suggestions. I've just had it look again, and it didn't come up with any corrupted/altered files. (I don't think it had picked up hh.exe, as it isn't in the folder I opted to back them all up in).

I tried sfc's Extract One File method, but drew a blank at 'Save file in...', as I don't know where it should live.

What location(s) should hh.exe be in?

Wak 20:37 21 Jul 03

Hi Polymath, I have Win 98SE and your file hh.exe is also in C:\Windows as well as C:\Windows\ Options\Cabs.
Hope this helps.

polymath 21:32 22 Jul 03

Thanks Wak. Problem solved!

I wasn't sure what folder in C:\Windows to go for, looked in C:\Windows\System (with Show Files); no hh. in there so just tried it as a destination. Windows Help was then available instantly.

From my experience with replacing .dll files to several likely-looking locations at once, I don't think the hh file would have done any harm in the System folder if it had been the wrong location. I suppose files in wrong places just get ignored?

Anyway, thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…