Win98se-can I install aDVD-RW drive

Alan H E 13:02 13 Mar 05

I used to have a DVD rom drive which I changed to a CD-RW drive. Could I change this for a DVD-RW drive. Only have 128mb at present but would double this at same time. Any advice welcome. Have only the one external bay for the drive.

FelixTCat 14:11 13 Mar 05

Yes, you can. You could also buy an external DVD writer, for which you would need a USB2 or Firewire conection; in which case you might like to replace your DVD ROM as this will then be more useful.

Totally-braindead 14:18 13 Mar 05

Just get an internal CDRW/DVD drive that will install and run no problem, you can get them from click here starting at £23.50 plus postage

Alan H E 17:46 13 Mar 05

Have only Usb 1.1 so would an external DVD writer work or just be toooo slooow.

Diemmess 18:18 13 Mar 05

Is there no room to install both in the same box?

FelixTCat 19:45 13 Mar 05

You could get a PCI USB2 card for only a few quid.

However, a good DVD recorder the can play and record every known format only costs ~£40 delivered: click here

The only advantage of an external drive would be to do direct copies. However, if you have about 6 GByte spare on a hard disk, you can copy a disk to the hard drive then burn it back to a blank.

If you want to use DVD-RAM with Win 98 you will have to download a driver, but DVD-RAM is an excellent storage medium.

woodchip 19:59 13 Mar 05

You are better leaving the CDRW and fit the new drive on new IDE Chanel on the MOBO

Alan H E 23:19 13 Mar 05

Thanks for the advice will have to think which way to go. Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…