Win98SE boot problem - cannot reinstall / repair

Jon-Dalton 15:28 10 Feb 05

Can anyone help?
I've got a friends old 266MHz machine running win98se. It hangs on the second splash screen from boot-up. There is no floopy drive in the computer, and making the CD Rom the first in boot sequence (via bios) dosn't work either - the original win98se disk will not auto load. How can I get into the operating system to find out whats going on and repair it? Thanks!

MichelleC 15:47 10 Feb 05

Try going into safemode (Ctrl on mine) and see if a device has gone awol (in Device Manager) and change driver. You can also run sfc in safemode, run scandisc and defrag.

pk470 17:06 10 Feb 05

What make of computer have you got?? all computers running W98 had a floppy drive.

Diemmess 17:18 10 Feb 05

If you follow MichelleC's advice you might try tapping F8 during bootup, but before the point where Windows starts to load

Jon-Dalton 19:37 10 Feb 05

Hitting F8 during boot-up and going into good old fashioned MS DOS and running c:\windows\command\scanreg.exe enabled me to roll back to a previous good registry backup that allowed windows to work and loaded the device settings for the CD Rom too.
The floppy drive has been cannabilised out of the machine I think!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…