Win98se Boot Failure

Chris Webster 22:25 29 Apr 05

Hi,
My father has just switched his Win98se computer on and it's come up with the message 'Boot Failure' Insert Boot Diskette In A Drive. He hasn't got a boot disc, but I have one from when I had a win98se computer, would my boot disc work in his computer? If my disc won't work, how can I get his computer up and running again, he doesn't have a Win98se disc either.

His computer won't even boot into 'Safe Mode'

What is the most likely to cause a boot failure?

Thanks in anticipation,
Chris.

SANTOS7 22:33 29 Apr 05

click here
this may help..

the kopite 22:36 29 Apr 05

HI Check your hard drive cables and try swapping one of the moulex cables boot failure message will come up for a faulty connection if you have a win98 boot disk it will work on your fathers computer

DieSse 22:38 29 Apr 05

" What is the most likely to cause a boot failure?"

A faulty hard drive is most likely.

Motherboard battery failure, corrupt hard drive, virus are other possible causes.

Iron Maiden 22:38 29 Apr 05

May sound stupid but 1st that he hasn't left a disk in tha A: drive

Your disk will work, it will boot the pc up into DOS mode(command line prompt). If memory serves me well it should give the option to load cd drivers when booting up & diagnostic tools. these tools (fdisk,chkdsk etc)should allow you to check if the HD is ok.

DieSse 22:40 29 Apr 05

Also - just check that a floppy disk was NOT accidentally left in the drive.

woodchip 23:24 29 Apr 05

Start with the Boot disc that you have and then at A:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE it will look like this

A:\SCANREG /RESTORE now press enter. Choose Date before problem with arrow keys and press enter

Chris Webster 15:24 01 May 05

Hi,
Thank you for all the info, but i've not been able to get my fathers computer to boot up no matter what i try.

I've tried a:\SCANREG /RESTORE but it doesn't do anything, all it says is 'Bad Command' or something like.

Here's some more info now iv'e actually been and had a look at it.

When first turning on, the message 'While Initialising Device VKD' appears, followed by 'Windows Protect Error' then 'Please Restart Your Computer' followed by a very loud continuous bleep.

After a while it seem to start to boot up as normal by then the following comes up,

Auto Detecting...Pri Master - Not Detected
Auto Detecting...Pri Slave - Not Detected
some other stuff flashes up too but it's to quick to read.
Then it says 'Insert Boot Diskette in "A" '

I hope this information is usefull.

Thanks,Chris.

Diemmess 15:32 01 May 05

While the present situation sounds increasingly serious, woodchip's scanreg /restore procedure will often save the day, BUT having reached A:. with a floppy you must type C: and enter first!

This is a Registry command and A: doesn't have a clue, so you need to change to the root drive C: first.

Chris Webster 15:37 01 May 05

Diemmess,
Sorry i forgot to mention in my post that i typed 'C' but it didn't do anything. I agree with your comment that the present situation sounds increasingly serious.
His computer is around 5 years old now.

Thanks, Chris.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 01 May 05

Auto Detecting...Pri Master - Not Detected Auto Detecting...Pri Slave - Not Detected

Sounds like unable to detect the hard drive. Could be a loose / faulty IDE ribbon cable as both drives not found, check the cble is firmly inserted in the rear of the drives AND at the motherboard slot.

You could also swap the cable with the one for the CD drves if fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…