Win98se The amazing disapearing desktop

JINXED02 15:42 26 Jan 04

Alright so im helping out a friend of mine fix their computer. They have 98SE on it and here is what happens.

The machine boots up, load windows to a password screen.
Enter a password and the screen changes, the desktop background appears, and then the start menu appears for a split second then disappears.

I was unable to get windows to work on his machine and removed his harddrive and attached it to my machine as a slave drive. I have scanned the drive with anti-spyware programs and anti-virus and found nothing. Anyone know what could be causeing it?

It definately seems like a software problem due to it being able to load windows up to that point. MY skill with 98 is rusty like i said and i could be missing somethign very obvious. Any help/suggestions?

Sounds like it's starting with the basic graphic drivers, then when the graphic card is detected it's not finding the correct drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…