Win98 to XP update question.

lixdexik 22:47 09 Aug 05

I have had to buy a new motherboard as my original one has developed a fault.
This new board ASUS A7V600-X ..(Ok it’s not that new, but it’s new to me and it will support all the bits I have already). Says it supports win 2000/ NT/and XP.

On the now duff board I have been using win 98 which was an upgrade version from win3.11….I have now bought an upgrade version of win XP home.

In the past with my win98 upgrade, it has been possible to do a clean install of win98 by inserting the original win 3.11 floppies when prompted by the programme during installation.

The questions are….Can I do a clean install of XP from this XP upgrade CD as I have done in the past with 98?.

Would XP ask for the original 98 cd to check that I do own a Copy of 98 before installing? If so…..

Will XP accept a 98 upgrade cd as proof of ownership?

Or will I have to install win 98 as in the past then upgrade to XP.

Finally…would win98 install on this board when it says it supports 2000/NT & XP?

I would just like your thoughts before I open the seal on the XP upgrade box.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you can give me some guidance with it..

Cheers Lixdexik.

Strawballs 22:55 09 Aug 05

I don't know how much you paid for the XP upgrade but you can get an OEM of XP Home for £67.0click here from

Strawballs 22:58 09 Aug 05

Sorry the link got corupt somehow click here

lixdexik 23:04 09 Aug 05

I'll take this one back and get my £90 back tomorrow.

How does the OEM version differ from a normal version?

Cheers Lixdexik.

DieSse 23:14 09 Aug 05

"Will XP accept a 98 upgrade cd as proof of ownership?"

Yes.

DieSse 23:20 09 Aug 05

"How does the OEM version differ from a normal version?"

In content - it doesn't.

In the licence - it's supposed to be supplied to system builders for use on a new PC (sometimes interpreted as "with hardware"). It's for use only on that system and cannot be sold on or transferred to another system under the terms of the licence. You get a sticker that's supposed to be stuck on the case (and is virtually impossible to remove) which has the product code required for activation. In the retail version this code is on the documentation.

You cannot call MS for support (you can still use the websites, though, of course) - the system builder is supposed to give that (you in this case).

DieSse 23:23 09 Aug 05

On the novatech link - please note the following

"PLEASE NOTE: This product CANNOT be returned for any reason.

PLEASE NOTE - In order to comply with the terms of the licence this software must be bought with a qualifying non-peripheral hardware component, such as a hard drive, motherboard, memory, CPU, etc."

lixdexik 17:06 10 Aug 05

I went back to the shop that I got the MOBO from and told him about the OEM version for sale on the internet, he offered to match the price seeing as how I had bought the mobo from him. So all in all a done deal

Now it's off to get a refund on the upgrade version.

Many thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Stuartli 18:02 10 Aug 05

Trust it's still in its original wrapping...:-)

lixdexik 22:56 10 Aug 05

All legal. even got my money back now for the upgrade version.

Cheers Lixdexik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…