Win98 won't boot after power cut!

trisers 15:58 21 Sep 04

On startup i get messages telling me there is an error in CONFIG.SYS line 3 (WIN\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS), followed by 3 errors on line 4 too (HIMEM.SYS , DBLBUFF.SYS , and IFSHLP.SYS)
These are following a power cut whilst the pc was on. I have tried starting with the floppy and have the CD too but can't get it to boot at all!
Any suggestions most welcome please!

Diemmess 16:10 21 Sep 04

Boot while tapping F8

When you reach the choices of Normal, Safe Mode and so on, pick "Command Prompt Only" (I think it is choice No 5).

At the C:> prompt, type ............. scanreg /restore ......... and press Enter

You will reach a screen which offers to run a previous copy of the system, usually you choose one of 5 previous dates.

Pick a date just before the power cut and enter that. If you are lucky it will not find any errors this time and go straight through to the way it looked when all was sweetness and light!

trisers 16:19 21 Sep 04

Thanks Diemmess
Tried scanreg/restore but get a bad command or file name message.
Prior to that i get a keyboard.sys error too.
Methinks i have big probs eek!

Diemmess 16:29 21 Sep 04

I know opinions differ, but Scanreg wont work for me either unless I put a space after scanreg before "the forward slash."

The keyboard error hopefully is part of the present trouble.

If this revision doesn't do the trick then I'll join in the chorus of eeeeeeeeeeK.

trisers 16:34 21 Sep 04

Thanks again Diemmess, ....all together now..."EEEEEEEK" lol
Still no go ughhhh!

Diemmess 16:44 21 Sep 04

Sounds a pretty sick O/S...........Perhaps if I whisper Format and Reinstall, someone with a brain will offer something better than my pitiful knee-jerks!

Try bumping this back to the top in the next hour or two.

trisers 16:50 21 Sep 04

Thanks again for your advice Diemmess....it might come to that. Perhaps i could transfer the hard drive to another pc to retrieve the files, would this be possible?

Diemmess 17:10 21 Sep 04

It could be "made" to work. I guess there might be initial bother, with conflicting systems if both happen to be 98.

In that case you may have to boot with a floppy and delete things like the autoexec and config sys files, as well as others you can identify.

There must be a way but as I said I'm guessing.

trisers 17:14 21 Sep 04

The other pc is on XP so i don't know whether there would be a conflict or not.
Thanks for your help anyway and i'll try bumping it up later and see what transpires!

Valvegrid 17:27 21 Sep 04

What happens when you boot from the floppy? I'm just wondering if you are reading the HD first, try going into the BIOS and changing the boot order, floppy first.

trisers 18:13 21 Sep 04

It seems to load the floppy ok....i've run scandisk on C: with it which doesn't pick up any errors, i've even transferred the SYS file from the floppy to C: but STILL it won't boot! Next option use the EXT tool to transfer the missing/bad files from the Win98 CD to C:?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…