//some 3rd party need geo

Win98 Win crit update d/load corrupts Outlook Exp

Umbra 20:08 06 Sep 03

Casting my memory back a little while I seem to recall that a particular Windows Update download caused problems with Outlook Express. (Talking IE5.5 here with Win 98)

I vaguely remember that there was a downloadable fix, or maybe just instructions, that enabled one to remove or "undo" the update which caused the problem, and OE was mended.

Oh yeah! Sorry, the OE problem was that OE returned mail delivery and collection failures giving reason as ERROR 0x800CCC0. This error code refers to incorrect OE mail settings or possibly a corrupt OE file. Also frequent disconnections ocurred.

So, does anyone please recall this problem, and particularly the reply given, on this site I think, with direction to the repair instruction.

MORAL.....don't update unless you REALLY need it!!!

btw, the current prob seems to have taken place last weekend (end of august)

Grateful for you memories and help.

Thanks

bof:) 20:53 06 Sep 03

click here

this any help?

Mike

Umbra 21:24 06 Sep 03

Thanks bof:)

I'll try some of that......the discussion I recall, and it worked for me, was definitely caused by a win update, and there was a world-wide problem. and there was definitely an "undo" type fix which removed the rogue update download and reset OE.

Thanks again and I'll hang on for more memories to surface over the next few days.

:-)

Umbra 08:57 10 Sep 03

Thanks for bof's suggestion, sorry no-one else could work this out but thanks for reading this.

Problem solved! Turns out it was Zone Alarm. For some reason stopped allowing access to Outlook Express. Couldn't see why cos all seemed in order.
Uninstalled ZA and downloaded latest version and all now ok.

Thanks again.

:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…