Win98 user logon problem

dotterel 10:49 05 Dec 03

I have just done a clean install of Win 98 on a standalone. It does have a LAN card (no idea what it does, but it may be relevant!). When it starts up it has a logon box with my user name highlighted in blue and the cursor blinking in the password box. I can logon fine. I have checked the circle in the password section of control panel which is supposed to allow different users to logon. However, the system will not allow me to set up another user because I cannot overtpe my own user name to set up another profile. Any help would be much appreciated - you have never failed in the past!

recap 11:10 05 Dec 03

W98 logon is basically a joke. The security in W98 is not worth it. All a user has to do on the logon prompt is to click cancel and they get access to all resources on the system. I personally wouldn't bother trying to setup user accounts in W98.

The LAN card (also known as a NIC) is for networking.

smegs 11:14 05 Dec 03

Dotterel, can we get one thing clear here? Do you want to setup another account or do you want to get rid of the password lon in screen?

dotterel 10:25 06 Dec 03

Sorry I haven't made myself clear. All I want to do is have different desktops for me and my wife like I used to have on my previous computer. Security is not the issue - just convenience!

dotterel 10:27 06 Dec 03

Sorry I haven't made myself clear. All I want to do is have three different desktops, one each for me, my wife and son like I used to have on my previous computer. Security is not the issue - just convenience!

dotterel 13:48 07 Dec 03

Honestly, I only pretend to be stupid! I had only been looking at the password section of control panel. Once I looked at "Users" it was obvious. Problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…