Win98 Troubleshooting help file missing.

ralph-226856 20:55 12 Jan 06

I recently discovered that the trouble shooting section of my windows help file is missing. Everything else in the help file seem to be ok, does anyone know how to restore the help files from the original Win98 CD?

Thalmus 21:04 12 Jan 06

On your cd browse to d:\TOOLS\RESKIT

Zak 21:10 12 Jan 06
  Zak 18:55 13 Jan 06

Please let us know if resolved.

beeuuem 19:22 13 Jan 06

From
click here

The Troubleshooter pages are blank or missing.

This happened after a couple of critical updates.
The February 2003 critical update from Microsoft (Q810847) disabled the HTML help functionality in Windows 98.
The fix was to re-install the tshoot.inf which is explained below.
Microsoft released a cumulative patch (Q811630) that restored the HTML Help functionality.

To restore the tshoot.inf file:

Make sure you have your system set to show all files. Go to Start > Settings > Folder Options and in the View tab, scroll down to the Files and Folders section. Place a check in "Show all Files".
Open your Windows\INF folder and locate TSHOOT.INF.
Right click the file and choose "Install".
That should restore the trouble shooters if the cause was the Q810847 patch.

If the trouble shooters still do not work, you have probably installed the November 2003 critical update (Q824145) that added a registry entry that disabled ActiveX controls in the TSHOOTER.OCX file. It is easy enough to delete the entry from the registry but that leaves your system open to attack. Instead I have created a small application which will run the Trouble Shooters by disabling the registry fix only while you have the Trouble Shooter open. As well, it uses it's own call to the file and that is not something that would be easy for an attacker to exploit. The file can be downloaded from:
file:click here or just click the button to start the download.

ralph-226856 20:35 14 Jan 06

Zak and beeuuem, many thanks for the links which I followed and which cured the problem.
Replacing the TS inf file didn't work but the short cut program by Trinity did.
The threads made interesting reading and for me demonstrated all thats good about the internet, with everyone mucking in and helping each other, brilliant!
Thanks to all who posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…