Win98 Startup disk CD Driver problem

Bontcho 19:52 27 Apr 03

I have a laptop which needs to have win98 re-installed on it.

The problem I have is that the CD is external (a Toshiba PCMCIA CDROM) and is not recognised when using the Win98 startup disk.

I have downloaded the CDROM driver but don't know how to get the startup disk to use this driver any ideas?

Valvegrid 20:09 27 Apr 03

Oh dear ho dear, I feel for you! I had exactly the same problem the other day with a Compaq.
I did manage to do it, but it's a bit long winded so be patient with me.
You need to find another computer running DOS 6.22. Then I loaded DOS 6.22 onto the laptop as well. The reason you need DOS 6.22 is that its got an application called INTERLNK in it (no not a spelling mistake). Then I partitioned the drive on the laptop into two drives. I installed WIN98 onto one drive using the XCOPY application in DOS via the INTERLNK. The connection uses the serial port on both computers, one computer acts as the server and the laptop as the client so the download is slow. Leave the two computers running overnight. When its finished you can install windows 98 from one patition to the other.
It's a long winded way but it does work! You are more than welcome in sending me a private email and I'll try and guid you through the procedure if it will help you.
Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…