Win98 start up problems

JoJoh 09:26 10 Mar 05

Hi - I have a major problems with starting one of my computers. Every time that I start it, I see the 5 start up options. I then choose option 1 but the computer just then automatically goes to the shutdown option.I also cannot start in safe mode.

I then have tried the windows start up disk. I boot from this disk and run scandisk. It then is finding loads of problems in the windows directory. I have continued to press the "F" to fix these but these are so many. I have been running it for 1 hour and still it is finding more errors. Scanreg.exe will not run.

Is there a way of running scandisk from the boot disk the where it automatically fixes errors like it normally does?

Alternatively, if I reload windows by putting the windows disk in the cd rom drive at startup, will it wipe out all of the installed programmes on the computer?

Diodorus Siculus 09:30 10 Mar 05

Reinstalling Win98 over the current install seems to be the best way to go; it should not cause you to lose what is installed.

wobblymike 09:37 10 Mar 05

Hi
Sounds rather terminal doesn't it - to answer your question yes if you reload Windows you will overwrite everything.
While remote diagnosis is really hard it sounds that you either have a faulty hard drive or a mobo fault however there are a few things you could do I offer these as suggestions.
1. remove and replace RAM sticks
2. disconnect peripherals, modems, sound cards etc and leave your PC in a bare state i.e just graphics card (if you have one) then try and boot again if the problem is the same then I suspect surgery may be needed.
3. if you have a bootable test disc like PC check use it to test your hard drive, if you haven't then I suspect you're going to have to bite on the bullet and reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows.
4. The reformat process will identify whether your hard drive is faulty especially if you use a 98 boot disc.
Enough for 1 post hope it helps any more post back.

JoJoh 12:47 10 Mar 05

Thanks for your replies. I have taken the route of re-loading windows. I have managed to fix all of the problems in scandisk (by continually presseing the "fix" button) and the windows disk is loading (I have found the cd drive is now in e:/ However when it proceeds to load windows it is coming up with an error saying that it cannot load windows from the windows disk as it it already has a win98 operating system and requires an upgrade disk.

I have never found this before. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 10 Mar 05

CD is e:\ because the boot disk loads tools into a ram drive d: that puts the letters back by one letter, it will revert ok after windows has loaded.

Boot from the floppy when it has gone thro8hg its routine and you get to the A:\ prompt

Type c:\ press enter

Type cd c:\windows press enter

Type delete *.* press enter

on completion of the delete type e:\ press enter

type setup press enter and win 98 should install.

Diemmess 15:21 10 Mar 05

If it is not too late there is a faint hope from a non-destructive command line.

Choose the option Command Prompt Only, (option 5 from memory).

Type in- scanreg /restore -just that! and Enter. If you are lucky and can choose an offered date before the trouble started, it will restore the registry to that date for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…