Win98 Sounds won't work

Roger-292133 22:23 01 Jan 03
  Roger-292133 22:23 01 Jan 03

I have just installed a new hard disk and re-installed win98 and sounds now won't work. The sound card drivers all seem to be OK (no conflicts etc), but look in control panel / multimedia and it can't find any sound devices.
I have the old Hard Disk, and when I boot that up the sounds work fine.
Sounds straight from the CD ROM drive work fine.
I did remove all sound drivers and reboot - the sounds seemed to work OK. I rebooted and - hey presto - no sounds again.

eddie937 22:27 01 Jan 03

what sound card do you have?

woodchip 22:29 01 Jan 03

right click my computer, click properties look in device manager to see if you have any yellow marks, make a note of these

Roger-292133 22:32 01 Jan 03

Its an onboard Intel 810 AGPset (GA-6WMMC7 motherboard). There are no yellow marks in the device manager.
Strange, but the old hard disk had one ?? device, which the new one has working properly.
The device is now listed as an Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device

Another problem suggests that Win MediaPlayer 7.1 may have a bearing?

woodchip 22:35 01 Jan 03

Remove these two items if they are still there windows will pic them up when you reboot

Roger-292133 22:41 01 Jan 03

I have tried deleting the device then rebooting etc, and also tried disabling the device - all to no avail.

I wonder if it is just worth copying the old configuration from the old hard disk (i wanted to do a fresh install cos of problems with the PC crashing regularly with the old hard drive)

woodchip 22:45 01 Jan 03

You can do this with Drive Image in Dos. You create two rescue discs with Drive Image start with first disc and follow instructions. If you can get Computer Shopper there is free version4 on it

Roger-292133 22:51 01 Jan 03

I may try that as a last resort - I want the new install to hopefully cure the system keeps crashing thing. I plan to install Linux onto the old (smaller) hard disk when all is complete and working

woodchip 23:06 01 Jan 03

Have you double clicked the windows system tray speaker icon remove any muting ticks. For playback

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…