win98 shutdown problem

bamfiesler 17:56 28 Aug 03

An old chesnut, no doubt.

I have just installed win98se on a celeron desktop pc. On shutdown, I get the message 'It is now safe, etc..', but I cannot switch the machine off - it reboots if I press the power button.

I've searched the archive for a solution, but I don't think i've come across the right one yet.

Any ideas, and thanx in advance.

spikeychris 18:24 28 Aug 03
  Sparks 18:39 28 Aug 03

Have you tried holding the power button in for a few seconds.

bamfiesler 18:44 28 Aug 03

could it be the network card I removed from device manager is still casuing a problem as it's still in place?

spikeychris 18:44 28 Aug 03

Sparks, good point but 98SE should not offer you the "its now safe"..

bamfiesler 18:50 28 Aug 03

just rebooted again, with messages about 'vnetsup.vxd, vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd as missing.

If I hold the power button, it just reboots!

spikeychris 18:55 28 Aug 03

Start > run > type sfc and have the 98 installation disk in the drive.

spikeychris 19:00 28 Aug 03

Could it be the network card....yeah.

Control Panel.

In Control Panel, double-click Network.

In the Network dialog box, select Client for Microsoft Networks, and then click Remove.

In the Network dialog box, click OK, and then click Yes to restart your computer.

Leave it there if you don't want the NIC.

bamfiesler 19:25 28 Aug 03

This is driving me daft!!! Even holding down the start button does switch it off, but after two seconds it boots back up!

spikeychris 19:32 28 Aug 03

Have you tried the above????

bamfiesler 00:12 29 Aug 03

Hi, back again. I'll be out of action for the next day, but will post back. I will take the network card out and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…