Win98 SE 'Properties' giving Visual C++ error

jgd 21:19 19 Nov 04

Win98 SE right-click 'Properties' giving Visual C++ Runtime error

Obliged for thoughts on this one ...

For some objects, including word, excel & publisher files, the Properties right-click command has recently started failing, giving message along the lines of:

Runtime error C\Windows\Explorer.exe .. abnomal program termination.

and OK then blows W98, wiping away the taskbar & needing restart.

But r-c Properties for .exe, .htm, Floppy, folder, desktop shortcut still works fine. All very confusing!

Have looked at earlier post by Fred2 and so I have run SFC as suggested but the only 'corrupted' file reported is user.exe .. and that is to be expected?

Only significant new software recently is PC-cillin 2005 and Spybot S&D and the problems did not start until some time after these were installed.

Have I lost a bit of Explorer?

Your thoughts/clues welcome .. thanks.

Abey Baby 15:01 09 Sep 05

Have almost the same problem on one user account only (mine) others are OK. Usually occurs when trying to access I E but some programs like AVG, Outlook have no trouble accessing the internet??? Help! Please tell me there's a fix which does not involve wiping everything. Have tried the spyware catchers without success.

woodchip 15:11 09 Sep 05

Try shut down computer to DOS then type Scanreg /Restore note space before / put oldest date back see if it corrects problem. If not put win98 cd in comp at the Run box type SFC run program with 98 cd in comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…