Win98 Re-boot

warton 08:36 29 Jan 04

My sons computer was badly affected by viruses which were making it impossible to operate and so I decided to format the hard drive and start again. I re-booted using a start-up floppy then re-installed Windows98 SE from disc. On completion of installation monitor has max 16 colour resolution whereas before it had 16 bit resolution. Also modem is not being detected. I have tried loading monitor, adaptor and modem manually within Windows from generic drivers without success. Am I missing something when re-loading from a formatted C drive.

Chegs ® 08:42 29 Jan 04

generic drivers ....Thats your problem,these are only to get the machine working.You need to know make/model of any devices that aren't working correctly,eg Graphics(onboard or an AGP card)Modem,the monitor setup as Acer,it will allow more choices of resolution once you have the graphics sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…