win98 product code/product ID

greenlamp 23:03 01 Mar 04

My system is one of those where the Windows Setup back up came installed on the hard drive rather than on a CD, I [almost] immediately made copy of the folder to a CD, just in case of a problem which would prevent access to the hard drive. I also made a note of the Product ID [which seemed to be the same sort of format as the licence number for Win95 on my old system]. Neddless to say there was a hard drive problem which required reformatting, so I then attempted to install WIn98 from my CD, it was at this point I found the Product ID to be different from the Keycode [product code]. I was able to proceed using a "borrowed" key code but would prefer to return to the genuine artical.

Are their any programs available that can determine the keycode from the product ID.

Of course had I discovered Aida32 prior to the hard disk problem I'd have had all the information I needed.

Djohn 23:32 01 Mar 04

greenlamp. Have a look on the restore CD that you use to access the hidden partition of your hard drive, the Product code should be on there. If not has the sticker been placed on the rear of your tower unit? j.

Djohn 23:32 01 Mar 04

greenlamp. Have a look on the restore CD that you use to access the hidden partition of your hard drive, the Product code should be on there. If not has the sticker been placed on the rear of your tower unit? j.

GaT7 23:58 01 Mar 04

I've had the same experience - same Product Key but on re-installing the Product ID changed. Apparently the Product Key is NOT the same thing as the Product ID.

The Product Key (the number you type in when installing Windows) is usually in the format: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, while the Product ID (the number displayed in system properties) is in the format: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX.

If you have Microsoft Office you'll see the above holds true too.

So, greenlamp, I don't reckon there's anything to be concerned about - it's just another Microsoft quirk you're likely to run into with most of their products.

P.S. If I've somehow missed you're point please post back!

GaT7 23:58 01 Mar 04

I've had the same experience - same Product Key but on re-installing the Product ID changed. Apparently the Product Key is NOT the same thing as the Product ID.

The Product Key (the number you type in when installing Windows) is usually in the format: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, while the Product ID (the number displayed in system properties) is in the format: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX.

If you have Microsoft Office you'll see the above holds true too.

So, greenlamp, I don't reckon there's anything to be concerned about - it's just another Microsoft quirk you're likely to run into with most of their products.

P.S. If I've somehow missed you're point please post back!

BIGBAGGY 00:03 02 Mar 04

whats AIDA 32?

BIGBAGGY 00:03 02 Mar 04

whats AIDA 32?

greenlamp 00:07 02 Mar 04

The PC was bought from a small supplier who didn't think/couldn't be bothered to partition the drive. All the setup and cab files were in a directory on the C:\ drive [I realised this could be a problem so everything was burned to a CD very quickly but since I thought I had recorded the Keycode as well I wasn't worried], hence a reformat cleared everything.

greenlamp 00:07 02 Mar 04

The PC was bought from a small supplier who didn't think/couldn't be bothered to partition the drive. All the setup and cab files were in a directory on the C:\ drive [I realised this could be a problem so everything was burned to a CD very quickly but since I thought I had recorded the Keycode as well I wasn't worried], hence a reformat cleared everything.

greenlamp 00:15 02 Mar 04

crossbow70 my problem is that I have the product ID, but unfortunately recorded this thinking it to be the keycode which [as I found out the hard way] means I cannot re-install my copy of Win98 with it's genuine number.

Aida 32 is a useful little program click here
that allows you to view your system information

greenlamp 00:15 02 Mar 04

crossbow70 my problem is that I have the product ID, but unfortunately recorded this thinking it to be the keycode which [as I found out the hard way] means I cannot re-install my copy of Win98 with it's genuine number.

Aida 32 is a useful little program click here
that allows you to view your system information

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…