win98 and passwords

chessplayer 12:36 21 Oct 04

I've inherited an old system and at boot up Win98 asks for password. When I click cancel the system boots normally. How do I stop this window appearing in the first palce?

Graham ® 12:40 21 Oct 04

Don't click cancel, click OK.

Micro-Man 13:13 21 Oct 04

You can use the Find Files and Folders and search out any thing with *.pwl then delete these as they are the password caches. That way if a password has been set it will now have been deleted.

For bios passwords, you need to identify the reset link in the motherboard. Failing that, you'll have to remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes. needless to say you then need to reconfigure the various bios options for best performance.

mgmcc 13:17 21 Oct 04

If it is a Windows logon password (as opposed to a network password), delete any .PWL files in the Windows folder. These are "password" files.

Next time you boot, you will be prompted for a Username and Password. Enter a Username but leave password blank. After that, you shouldn't be prompted again when booting.

However, if you have a network adapter installed, right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties. Change the Primary Network Logon to "Windows Logon".

Border View 15:41 21 Oct 04

Try going into Start - Settings - Control Panel - Passwords and under Users put a spot in the box that says all users use the same.

There is also a box for changing passwords try going into that one and say no password needed.

Hope this is of some help.

Micro-Man 15:42 21 Oct 04

Following my previous response, if you do need to identify your motherboard, assuming it's an oem type, then go to Wimsbios handy web site at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…