Win98 - No Internet

rammie96 14:37 10 Jun 06

Have just installed new BT Broadband connection and want it on two Win98 PCs.

First PC is connected via Ethernet and seems fine.

Second PC has a USB wireless card installed, and it is connecting to the wireless network. The modem utility also recognises it as a wireless client.

But this second PC won't connect to the internet. (A wireless laptop has connected to the network and accessed the net OK).

"BT Wireless Connection Manager" shows the PC as bening "Connected" but the "BT Broadband Help Utility" says it can't find an internet connection.

Is there something else I need to do?

mgmcc 20:12 10 Jun 06

Is this actually a wireless *ROUTER* that you are connecting to and which supports the connection of two PCs simultaneously?

If so, have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

rammie96 20:40 10 Jun 06

Hi

It is a wireless router, and the wireless adaptor is set up OK.

The PC in question is connecting to the wireless network (using SSID, WEP key etc). The router setup utility is recognising it as a wireless client and displaying its MAC number so as far as I can see all looks OK at that end.

It's very odd because the BT Wireless Device Manager is clearly showing the adaptor as being 'Connected' to the wireless adaptor. But the BT Wireless Connection Manager says it can't find an internet connection.

Appears to be an issue turning the wireless network connection into an internet connection. (But I can get an internet connection if I put a laptop on the wireless network)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…