Win98 Modem problem

Tenacious Green 20:38 22 Jul 05

I have just re-formatted a friends computer as he had major corruption issues. All has gone well except that the computer cannot now find the modem that is definatley attached to the PC. I have ran Belarc Advisor and that does not detect it either.
Any help to sort this one out would be appreciated.

One other quick but not so important point is that the display will not allow me to go higher than 640x480 and my firend assures me that it used go higher. Again cannot find a reason for this? Display drivers are working correctly according to PC.

woodchip 20:42 22 Jul 05

if it a amr or cnr it will not see it. it's in a small slot on motherboard, the drivers for the port as to be loaded from motherboard cd before windows will see it

woodchip 20:42 22 Jul 05

if it a amr or cnr it will not see it. it's in a small slot on motherboard, the drivers for the port as to be loaded from motherboard cd before windows will see it

Tenacious Green 20:47 22 Jul 05

Thanks, But I am not quite with you. What can I do to resolve this?

woodchip 20:54 22 Jul 05

as above take the side of computer if you see a slot about 2ins long with card in then it's one of the above. you then need the motherboard cd check it in explorer you should see a folder on the cd for cnr amr port drivers, this needs loading for windows to see the modem, you can then load the modem drivers

woodchip 21:10 22 Jul 05

PS sometimes you have to load drivers before a modem can be seen

sattman 22:01 22 Jul 05

You most probably have not loaded the correct drivers for the modem, vidio graphics and other devices, has your friend got the original disc(s) that came with the computer they will be on there. If you have not got them it can be a problem locating and updating the drivers. You will have to delete any drivers that are installed in device manager before you can install new ones.

Tenacious Green 23:25 22 Jul 05

Sorted guys, Thanks for your responses. I think this was a case of put the drivers on first and then finding the device which was the solution to my problem, I think.

The original Driver disk was next to useless, good job the drivers were backed up!, although I still have not sorted the resolution thing.

Stuartli 00:20 23 Jul 05

I have the same problem with a friend's AMR modem - Windows 98 will not recognise any driver never mind the right one...:-)

Put in a "proper" hardware modem and sorted (to some extent) as speeds vary between 33.6 and 40k at present - the exchange is about a third of a mile away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…