Win98 & large external HD drives

Patr100 19:56 08 Jan 04

I am aware there is always a possible issue with certain usually older motherboards and the addition of very large hard internal disks (say 160GB) which can be overcome by a bios update or the disk manufacturer's software in order to recognise the full capacity. I just recently wondered if ther is an issue with the use of increasingly large EXTERNAL hard disks when used with Win 98se. Does Win98 have any problem seeing the full capacity of the disk or does the manufacturer also supply a work around program if it is an issue? I am sure there are people here actually using such disks for back up so I would appreciate any comments by actual users experience.

gold 47 20:12 08 Jan 04

Windows 98 needs a dowmloaded patch for drives over 80gb no help on exernal drives as i don't use them.

Patr100 00:31 09 Jan 04

-

Gaz 25 00:55 09 Jan 04

Err, it does not rely on the BIOS I dont think, if it is not a boot partition.

But windows it does.

stlucia 08:52 09 Jan 04

The problem that I've had experience of with Win 98 is that the FORMAT, FDISK (and possibily other) utilities that you need to install a new HDD don't go above a certain size. It was a simple matter to download the latest versions of them from the net when I wanted to install an 80Gb internal HDD.

I've since installed a 120Gb internal HDD on a Maxtor IDE adapter card (all 4 original cables in use) and have no problems with Win 98 except that FORMAT and FDISK reported incorrect sizes despite actually partitioning and formatting the drive correctly. If the external drive is driven off a card, as my 120Gb internal one is, then I believe that the card itself will take care of any size problems.

Patr100 15:34 09 Jan 04

Thanks for replies so far. I'm specifically thinking of UBS or firewire drives such as the Aldi mentioned in Consumerwatch. It is listed as OK with 98 as i'm sure many others are.

But Do you format in DOS with Windows not reporting the true size but able to use the full formatted capacity? So if you say filled it to capacity, the sum of the folders in explorer, would be higher than the reported properties of the disk as read in "My Computer" . Does DOS report the correct size after formatting?

Patr100 15:35 09 Jan 04

UBS = USB of course

Patr100 23:05 09 Jan 04

-

Patr100 13:10 10 Jan 04

Refresh for the Weekend shift.

Patr100 17:35 10 Jan 04

Is nobody using any large external HDs with Win98?

stlucia 08:42 12 Jan 04

DOS reported incorrect sizes while it was FDISKing and FORMATing. But the important thing is that now the correct size is reported during boot-up, and by Windows programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…