Win98 and the dreaded Shell32.Dll Error

xawefhgggnh 14:50 09 Apr 05

Dear Forum Members

Please can you advise.
I am using Windows 98 on my old Dell Dimension PC.
Until recently all has been well, but everytime I try and "right-Click" either on the desk top or whist using "cut and Paste"

I receive the following annoying error message:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
SHELL32.Dll at 0167: 6681cabf.
Registers:
EAX=0000000 CS=0167

When I try and close the error message it causes my desktop to vanish and several of my system tray icons vanish.

How can I repair, or stop this error message from appearing?

I would be ever so grateful for any help you can offer.

Kind regards

xawefhgggnh

Greengage 15:17 09 Apr 05

If you have your Win98 CD,go to Start, Run, type sfc, OK and then insert CD. With a bit of luck, should sort out problem.

LastChip 15:19 09 Apr 05

You may need whatever CD Dell supplied, but not necessarily, so if you have it available, all so well an good.

Go to Start; Run: and type the command;

sfc

and click OK.

The system file checker utility will now run and attempt to find any corrupted system files. Allow it to replace them if required. The only caveat, is if you have a later file installed via another program, changing these files back to the original versions may cause that application not to work, so choose carefully.

You're between a rock and a hard place really. If you choose to keep the newer file version, it may be the file that is causing the problem and you will therefore never resolve it. My advice would be, go with whatever (if any) files need replacement and sort out any consequences afterwards.

xawefhgggnh 13:52 11 Apr 05

Many thanks to Greengage and LastChip for your advice, I shall give sfc a go and hopefully this will solve the problem.

I will let you know.
Kind regards

xawefhgggnh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…