win98 to connect to winxp to share int.connection

Jaro 20:24 22 Sep 06

Hi,

Hope you can help me with this: I want to connect pc running win98 with pc running winxp to share internet connection.

Win98 pc (HOST) is desktop pc connected to the BT business internet through USB modem without any ports that would enable me to connect the other pc directly to it.

WinXP PC (CLIENT) is laptop that I want to connect to the host pc to share internet connection.

I have already tried to connect them directly with cross over cable with no avail. But I don’t say its not possible maybe I just made a mistake. I really need your help guys on this one its very important for me so please give me any suggestions you can up with.

Thank you

recap 20:35 22 Sep 06

You could use the Network Connection Wizard on the XP Laptop to accomplish this, just tick the radio button for connection from another pc should do the trick.

Jaro 20:57 22 Sep 06

what do you mean by that tick the radio button can you explane me the whole proces ?

ade.h 22:36 22 Sep 06

When it comes to Win98, I am working almost blind as I haven't used since... well, about 1999! It was that bad. I normally run a mile in the other direction when someone wants to make an ad-hoc network with it.

You don't have to run the wizard, but it would make things simple for you if you are new to networks.

You haven't mentioned what firewall the client and host have. Very relevant.

You're also making it a bit harder by using the 98 PC as the host, but I can appreciate the logistical need for this in your case.

click here click here click here

ade.h 22:38 22 Sep 06
  ade.h 22:53 22 Sep 06

Please stick to one thread. Making duplicates makes it harder for us to help you and keep track of the subject.

Strawballs 00:18 23 Sep 06

As you said over on the helproom that you have broadband via a dial up modem as ed-o has said you would be better off with a modem/wireless router that can be set up using the laptop connected by wire to one of the ports which can be disconnected and used wirelessly and have the 98 machine connected by wire through a lan connection.

Jaro 00:27 23 Sep 06

this is what i need can u explain this to me the whole lot how to do it and what kind of modem/router would be good for me?

Strawballs 00:37 23 Sep 06

You will need a modem/router (I am assuming you get your BB via phone line and NOT cable) good makes are Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo and 3com.

click here This will explain better than I can.

When you have the 2 computers connected run the network wizard from the control panel on the XP machine (not the wireless wizard) and follow instructions, when you get to the end produce the floppy or CD then run it on the 98 machine.

Jaro 00:56 23 Sep 06

please do not think im pulling your leg. im quite good in computers but i now nothing about networking.im going to explain how i understand what you said. so i will need modem/router( i still dont know which one will be the one you jast advised me about the brand)than when i have router i will connect router to both comps? what cables do i need just patched cabels? than to make connection to the internet but do it first on xp comp. than make flopy and run it on w98. is that right or am i totaly wrong? i just need somebody to tell me all the details cos i have never done this before. im probably looking like an idiot here to ask all this details but is clear to one dont have to be so clear to other one.

i just dont want to buy somethink that wont work .

Strawballs 01:17 23 Sep 06

click here
click here
click here
click here
All of these will be suitable for you.
click here
I will leave you withis as I have to be at work at 7 so better get some sleep

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…