win95 to win98

skiba 10:48 30 May 03

have formatted c drive but now cant get any further with install of 98 please HELP!!!!!

can you expand on what the problem is, what is going wrong?

woodchip 11:07 30 May 03

If you have a full win98 CD, Start with Start disc
click here change to your CD Drive Letter this will more than likely be one letter different, if it was D:\ it will be E:\ then type setup and press enter

woodchip 11:08 30 May 03

If you have Problems with that try this, click here

skiba 12:31 02 Jun 03

I GOT A FULL COPY OF 98 HAD 95 ON PC

FORMATTED C DRIVE TO GET RID OF 95

NOW CANT GET 98 SETUP TO RUN AS I CANT FIND OUT WHICH DRIVE LETTER MY CD IS

TRIED THE BOOT DISKS BUT THEREE WAS NO CHANGE

IT SAYS THAT THE CD DRIVE IS INSTALLED ON BOOT UP SCREEN CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEA .....

keith-236785 14:58 02 Jun 03

when you say on boot up screen it says cdrom found, do you mean the black screens when you first power on your pc.

what you should do is put in your windows start-up floppy disk. reboot your pc when you get the menu asking how you want to proceed, choose start with cdrom support.

once it has finished loading in you will be told which letter your cd is(usually drive E: when you have used a floppy boot disk because a virtual drive D: is created temporarily.

at the prompt A:> type E: (press enter)

at this point make sure your windows98 cd is in the drive

the prompt should change to E:>

type setup (press enter)

then follow the on-screen instructions.

good luck, any problems just reply here.

skiba 15:09 02 Jun 03

tried that i've got no E prompt something about invalid drive!!!

Diemmess 17:39 02 Jun 03

The Floppy must be a "Setup disk" because this will have the DOS drivers on it which you need to access the CD. A Startup flopy will not (usually) do this for you.

I have not done it this way, but I am told that if you get into the BIOS (usually press delete during early boot-up)then set the first boot device to be CDROM, (you scroll through the options using Page Up or Down) - your computer will find the Win98 CD and you can type setup from there.

When installation is complete as far as basic Windows, you must go back to your BIOS and reset it to HD drive 0 or Floppy for first boot device,

keith-236785 09:44 03 Jun 03

the startup disk created through windows will contain the cdrom drivers for most cd drives

you can get a friend who is using windows98 to make one for you by clicking "start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs, then the start-up disk tab at the top, then create start-up disk"

with this disk you should be able to format your system and re-install windows.

i know this works because i have done it several times with different computers and different versions of windows. win95,win98,winME All worked ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…