Win95 laptop won't start

Tangy 18:39 17 Nov 03

Last night my Win95 laptop (Pentium 150MHz / 64MB RAM) hanged. I couldn't reboot it so I turned off the main power. There was still power so I then pulled out the battery as well, which definitely did the job. I didn't do anything afterwards as I went to bed.

The next day I found that it wouldn't start up. What's happened? Is it completely dead now?

Jester2K II 18:46 17 Nov 03

Don't know unless you tell us what DOES happen!! Messages? Beeps? Noises etc etc

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 03

have you got a win95 cd

Tangy 19:41 17 Nov 03

Nothing happens at all. No beeps. Completely dead. I'm afraid I may have short-circuited something. Would trying to start without the battery help. Could I have just short-circuited the battery or something like that?

I don't have the original Win95 disks. Been too long. Think I've lost them.

woodchip 21:56 17 Nov 03

Remove the battery and plug the mains in and try

Tangy 17:03 26 Nov 03

I removed the battery & restarted successfully. The strange thing was that afterwards I powered off, reinserted the battery & still was able to power on. Strange?

Stuartli 17:53 26 Nov 03

Might have just been a loose battery contact; this would probably have prevented the mains supply taking over.

Usually when you go onto mains supply the battery supply will be cut off to prevent unncecessary drain; portable radios and similar equipment often have this feature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…