Win7 Updates so many.

Nontek 19 Aug 12

Getting used to Win7 now after XP, but there seems to be a never ending stream of updates, always in groups of three, an almost daily event.

Is everyone using Win7 getting the same?

Part of my updates list

rdave13 19 Aug 12

No I don't get these updates but I don't run Defender or MSE.

northumbria61 19 Aug 12

In a word NO - but do you have your Windows Updates to Automatically Download and Install? If so I would change that to give you more control.

northumbria61 19 Aug 12

Nontek - as per rdave13 I don't have Windows Defender or MSE and I think that is two programs that appear to get lots of updates.

Nontek 19 Aug 12

Defender is disabled on my PC. MSE is not the problem (if there is a problem, which I doubt), but never had so many updates with XP.

All appear to install correctly, which begs the question - why me, and not you?

'Tis a new laptop from Novatech, excellent specs and absolutely running perfectly, so the many updates puzzle me, especially if it is just me!

Nontek 19 Aug 12

Thanks to you both .... yes, I do have Auto Updates enabled, but surely changing that would not stop updates being offered?

northumbria61 19 Aug 12

yes, I do have Auto Updates enabled, but surely changing that would not stop updates being offered?

No, but you would be able to choose which ones you want to install as you have Critical updates and Optional updates - optional ones for example for MS Office which I choose mainly to ignore.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4165993/win7-updates-so-many/#ixzz240cquxVq

northumbria61 19 Aug 12

There is also the added advantage in my opinion that when manually installed and there is a problem it is easier to see which one it is.

Nontek 19 Aug 12

northumbria61

Thanks again - I have changed my update settings, so will see how it goes for a day or so.

Will report back!

Cheers.

Nontek 19 Aug 12

He he ... your 'Read more' link brings me back to my own thread!

Sea Urchin 19 Aug 12

Looking at your "Part of my updates list" it is evident that you are installing the same updates each day.

As they report as having been successfully updated each time you don't need them again Using your new found "control" over the offer of updates right-click them and ask for them not to be offered again.

I am of course referring to those which are duplicated

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

See 24 hours in London with Paul Richardson's hyperlapse tour

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message