win7 disappeared

Liza 11:31 17 Jul 10

Hello!
I installed Windows 7 from XP and it installed beautifully and I liked it. Therefore 2 OSs appeared on startup 'one earlier Win and the other Win 7'. However later on there was a problem with XP so I put the XP disk in the drive and requested Repair. XP repaired but Win 7 is no longer there. I think it installed in D where there is 200 gb space. Do Ihave to do a dual install and will I lose anything doing this? Please help. Liza

rdave13 11:41 17 Jul 10

Have a look at method two section 7 to repair windows 7 boot file. Seems that repairing XP has and does damage the boot file;
click here

Worth reading all of the section really.

Liza 01:57 18 Jul 10

Thanks rdave13. Yes I'll have a read and hopefully fix the problem. Liza

Liza 22:39 19 Jul 10

Hello All
Reference my cry about the disappearance of Win7, guess what, it suddenly came (more like bounced its way!) back. I was reading the tuition about how to dual xp and win7 particularly an article by a person about losing Win7 when there was a boot up and 7 came back. I was also at that time waiting to restart XP because Update had finished updating but I could not because Paragon was backing up my System from the cd that came in PCPro mag. When the razmataz happened all hell broke loose I lost the backing up, also I think the restart for XP update and AVG and there was Paragon screaming for anti virus protection and his backup. I did not get time to hold on to F6 to offer the flash disk for Raid to Win7. I am in limbo.Liza

woodchip 23:17 19 Jul 10

When you did a Repair you Scrubbed the Boot sector on the Hard Drive so it only sees one Operating System, You need to use another boot manager as Win 7 is still there click here

Liza 23:10 21 Jul 10

Hello woodchip
Thanks for your help. As I said there was a Backup software from Paragon backing up. At the same time Update was doing its bit for XP. Update wanted to restart but I held restart because Backup wanted to go on. I think Update must have restarted so Backup was temporarily lost but, good news, the restart brought back Win7. Your Boot Manager sounds very interesting. I will not do anything for the time being, perhaps even stop Paragon Backup. It sounds so complicated, wants to be on all the time and so a problem for Update which comes on everyday to do update for XP. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…