Win7 64bit Pro upgrade?

Ibanez2010 14:16 08 Jan 11

I am thinking of getting the Windows 7 Professional 64bit Upgrade edition cheap from software4students.
At the moment I am using Win 7 Premium 32bit and also have a copy of Win Vista Premium 32bit in case it's needed.
Am I right in thinking that I could use the discs to install Win7 64bit from scratch doing a custom install without the need for any messing about checking previous operating systems.
I did this when I upgraded from Vista to Win7. Just popped the disc in and did a clean install, no hassle.

GaT7 17:57 08 Jan 11

Yes, should be OK for a clean install with the Upgrade version as you have a previous qualifying version in the form of the Home Premium version (click here for more details if required).

But please be aware that you must also be eligible for a Student/Academic licence - read the relevant FAQs at click here. More details at Microsoft click here.

What extra/specific functionality will you gain with the Pro version that you think will be useful to you? G

Ibanez2010 19:09 08 Jan 11

Thanks, I thought that was the case.
I need to install the 64bit version so I can use more than 4gb ram. My wife's a teacher so we do qualify.

bremner 19:30 08 Jan 11

It may be that you need the extra function of Pro but did your Home Premium W7 not come with both 32 and 64 bit discs?

GaT7 19:34 08 Jan 11

bremner, it could've been OEM. G

Ibanez2010 20:59 08 Jan 11

It was OEM 32bit only version. I got it very cheaply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple