Win386.swp

SDJ 22:50 17 Jan 03
  SDJ 22:50 17 Jan 03

Win386.swp tales up a shed load of space, what can be done about it?

jazzypop 22:53 17 Jan 03

What version of Windows do you use, how much memory do you have, what is the total amount of hard disk space, how much of that is free, and do you use any memory-intensive programs (graphics programmes, very large spreadsheets, video editing etc).

SDJ 22:56 17 Jan 03

Its my bros.... he plays games.
Win 98 1st edition, only 100mb left on hdd its a 7gb HDD, 96mbsdram, celeron 400mhz.

Its a pile of crap and really needs reformatting etc but I havent got much time and hes crying that he wants to get back on championship manager.

woodchip 22:58 17 Jan 03

He needs a bigger hard drive with that amount of disc space left it must be crashing all the time

SDJ 23:00 17 Jan 03

Yeah I know but he is fifteen and hasnt got any money. Plus Im not a good enough brother to buy him one.
I take it them that the swap file must stay. Looks like a reformat and cleanup.

jazzypop 23:03 17 Jan 03

Quick and dirty method - click here

Better method, when you have time - click here

roversfan 23:29 17 Jan 03

You cannot remove your win swap file.

There is no need to reformat the drive, however defragging would probably be a good idea.

If you cannot afford a bigger drive then the only answer is good housekeeping. Remove any games from the drive that you don't use any more and check that the folders that they were in have been removed too. (Some program deletions leave things on your hard drive - e.g. saved games) Also remove any other files that you don't need. In short, if you don't need it DELETE IT. (Be very careful that you don't delete anything if you are unsure of what it is.)

flecc 23:43 17 Jan 03

To delete the Windows Swap File, boot holding down Ctrl and select the Command Prompt Only option at the Start Menu.

At the command prompt, which is usually C:\> , type: cd c:\windows ,then press Enter to show the Windows folder. Then type:

del win386.swp

imcluding that space in the line and press Enter again. Then re-start the computer. Windows will create a new swap file.

In Windows 98 or 98SE, if you have plenty of RAM, you can reduce the usage of the much slower swapfile to gain performance.

Click Start, Run, type: sysedit and press Enter. Now select the SYSTEM.INI page. Scroll down to the [386Enh] section, and at the foot of it's entries, add this line:-

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

exactly as shown. Make sure you leave a space between that and the [NonWindowsApp] section.

Now click File, Save, and close the System Configuration Editor. If you find that on your particular computer there is no improvement, you can just delete that line.

flecc 23:44 17 Jan 03

On my systems, running 512 mb of RAM, all systems run at zero size swap files nearly all the time with the above amendments.

BlueMeanie 00:18 18 Jan 03

Delete all your temp files from C:\Windows\Temp also C:\Temp

Scandisk to find any lost files or clusters

If you use a CD Copier does this use a location for temporary storage? If, whilst Copying a CD and it failed, sometimes a temp image file can be left behind - up to 500Mb or more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now