Win32:Trojan-gen.(vc)

provider 2 13:01 25 Jun 07

I don`t understand this: having updated and ran SuperAntispyware this morning, Avast! stopped everything with the message as above and Type: Virus/worm AO179727exe.
Websites recently visited have been excusively BBC, Burlen Fuel Systems, Jaguar and, of course AOL, e-mail mostly and quite a lot of it including something from the Robbie Williams fan club which I deleted without reading.
At the risk of inviting a (humourous?)answer,have I been missing something? Is there something I should know?
Search forum came up with a message about contacting webmaster I`ve never seen before.

Press Man 13:16 25 Jun 07

Try turning system restore off, reboot & run another anti virus scan & anti spyware scan and see if they are clean. If clean then turn system restore back on and make a new restore point. Hope this helps.

provider 2 13:23 25 Jun 07

Thanks Press Man. Avast! has dealt with it though and that`s not the problem. What worries me is how can I have picked this up by visiting only "respectable" sites and e-mail only from known and trusted sources?
Also, why is PC Advisor telling me I need to contact the webmaster? Does this Trojan require special attention?

Press Man 13:30 25 Jun 07

I can not answer your question provider 2, all I can suggest is that you run "highjackthis" and send the log to click here for someone to examine. Unless someone else in the forum can advise otherwise!

provider 2 13:38 25 Jun 07

I`ll hang about a bit, Press Man. Somebody here is sure to know something about this.

Press Man 14:38 25 Jun 07

Having looked on other forums, it appears others have suffered the same trojan. Although it has been "caught" by their AV they have had to have their Hijackthis log examined and be given advice as to what to do to completely remove.

Mac70 14:47 25 Jun 07

Trojans unfortunately serve the purpose of being downloaders so you may not know what else is on your computer, and perhaps you should follow Press Mans advice for a thorough check up.
It's free and generally painless.

provider 2 15:36 25 Jun 07

Thank you both. I have just noticed something that I would like to ask your opinion about.
There used to be a small advertising window, bottom right-hand corner of the AOL home page which, since Avast! removed the infection, has disappeared.
Could this have been AO179727exe. that upset Avast?
Maybe it`s AOL 17etc. Does that make any sense?

Press Man 15:48 25 Jun 07

I guess anything is possible where trojans are concerned! I would still post an highjackthis log on my previous link, just for peace of mind.

provider 2 15:53 25 Jun 07

You`re right Press Man. It`s idless, lack of time when I want to be doing something else, and the fact that there are no other obvious symptoms of infection that have prevented me from doing as you suggest.

provider 2 16:06 25 Jun 07

What I `m going to do is type Win32:Trojan-gen(VC) into Search forum again and see if I can follow what it has to say. It looked like quite a lengthy message first time round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple