Win32.Trojan-gen[other] removal?

Shortstop 16:54 26 Sep 07

Hi,

Running XP Home with Avast AVG + A-squared.

Today I booted up & Avast warned me that the above Trojan has been found in Windows>Sys 32> Drivers> mchLnjdrv.sys. Avast offers to rename, delete ignore or put into vault. All options have been tried, but the system picks up the infection upon reboot. I have tried A Squared - but this does not even pick up the Trojan. System Restore has been switched off, but this has had no effect.

How do I remove this?

TIA

Paul

mymate 17:12 26 Sep 07
  mymate 17:15 26 Sep 07

click here

Maybe run this with system restore turned off .

Another one click here

mfletch 17:29 26 Sep 07

Hi Avast has been picking up false positives,

I have Avast and it picked up a Trojan in SmitfraudFix {A false positive}

Do you use Comodo firewall?

I think Comodo use mchLnjdrv.sys to attach to other programs

You could do a scan with SAS Superantispyware to check for the Trojan to be on the safe side,

Check for any updates before using SAS,

FREE/ SAS/ click here

mfletch

Shortstop 19:01 26 Sep 07

No, I do not use Comodo - or any firewall.

Interestingly, the listed infected file is no longer in the folder where it is claimed to be.

Must be a false positive - but how do I stop it from appearing again? Shall I format [seems a bit overkill]?

BR

Paul

mfletch 19:23 26 Sep 07

Hi You should definitely be using a firewall,

And is your AVG antivirus or antispyware?

You should only have one Antivirus {avast}

In avast right click on the icon in your system tray and click on program settings,

Then on Exclusions add the file path in there it will then be excluded,

mfletch

Shortstop 20:30 26 Sep 07

Hi,

We agree to differ - never used a firewall before & see no need to start doing so now.

Anyhow, tried to exclude the path as you suggested, rebooted & the virus was found again [?] Looking at the folder, the listed infected file was not there - so it appears that Avast AVG had somehow go it itself into a loop and was reading files that had already been removed.

I have uninstalled Avast now & gone back to AVG free AVG, which is a competent program and I have used it before.

Thanks for your help - at least it identified another path rather than a full format :o)

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…