win32/heur virus.info and help appreciated please

ozzymodo 22:49 08 Oct 10

Hi there, I am running windows xp (cannot afford a new pc yet) and earlier tonight AVG popped up a window saying Virus win32/heur found windows NT notepad threat removed. Approx 15mins later it popped up again but this time it was in a java folder, so Ive set it to run a comp scan and so far it has found 250 threats and they are all in "restore". should I let it finish the scan and let it delete them all and then turn of system restore and reboot and then turn sys rest back on? also is this virus a serious/damaging one? It is the first time I have actually had a virus and think my son may have loaded something earlier today when he was on the laptop.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 08 Oct 10

they are all in "restore".

AVG is obviously doing its job, although it cannot delete files from within system restore

Yes, turn off system restore
rescan
reboot and rescan and if still clean thenyou should be ok.

birdface 23:00 08 Oct 10

Give this a try to see if it will remove it.

click here

ozzymodo 13:44 09 Oct 10

thanks to you both for the info. I am doing a comp scan now after having turned of sys restore and it seems that the win32/heur is in every file on the pc, also another one has popped up VBS/generic. I will let it finish the whole scan and see if it cleans them out. Also bute i installed and ran the link you gave me and tht found some malaware (even on a prog from an original software disc) and from firefox. will keep you updated. Do either of you know the site where you can find out about the viruses and the damage they do ??.
Thanks in advance Ian

tullie 13:52 09 Oct 10

Google?

northumbria61 13:56 09 Oct 10

From within AVG - Help - About Virues & Threats - you should see this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…