Win32/Generic.A

johndrew 18:01 04 Apr 08

Today there were updates for both Defender and Spyware Terminator which were applied as usual. Now each time I open Spyware Terminator, Defender warns of a detection of Win32/Generic.A. I have run both Spybot S&D and a-squared which report no results after a disk scan.

Has anyone else experienced this or found any information of it? I have Googled it but there is very little detail anywhere that makes any sense to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

MAT ALAN 18:26 04 Apr 08

click here

this may help...

Acx 18:38 04 Apr 08

You could keep an eye on this thread
on the Spyware Terminator forums click here

Someone else with the same problem
click here but no answer yet.

I would say Windows Defender has found a file in the updates that is causing it to report a virus.

I would suspect it is false if the file it is reporting its part of the update. To be certain and if you know which file it is, you can submit it(the file)to an online site for testing.
click here

if you want to try a few of them click here

johndrew 19:29 04 Apr 08

Thanks for coming back people.

I did find the McAfee link but it didn`t seem to fit the bill; it is pretty unusual for genuine anti-spyware programs to carry malware.

The link to Spyware Terminator Forums seems to have it clearly noted as a false positive, which was my initial thought, but you can`t be too careful.

Because the location of the file is not identified (I have searched for it as well) it is not possible to post it on one of the usual checking sites.

Hopefully the next update will sort it out. Until then I shall do as the chap on the forum says and `ignore` it.

Thanks again.

itsbroke 06:39 06 Apr 08

I too have the issue using Spyware Terminator and Windows Defender but with perhaps one or two differences. Running a full scan w/Spyware Terminator, after a little over 50%, the progress window disappears. The taskbar icon status shows it running and active. The other is that Windows Defender continues to "find" it despite being told twice now to remove it (which has taken a surprisingly long time) and finds nothing after running a thorough scan w/Windows Defender. I downloaded and am running MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and Avast AV to see what, if anything, they come up with. To my knowledge, this did not begin after any updates.

config_error 05:37 03 Dec 08

A complete removal guide, and step by step
that will infact remove all known virus in your system including spyware, malware, trojans
just follow the guide at click here
if this helps you, remember to leave a comment..thnaks..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant