Win32:FakeAV-C[trj]

SB23 14:06 21 Dec 07

Has anyone any info on this?

While using Superantispyware, Avast comes up twice with alerts for Win32:FakeAV-C[trj].

Avast has put it in the chest, and I don't seem to be having any problems, but I only reinstalled Xp last week, so how has this got in, with everything that I'm running, and whats with the "FakeAV" bit in the middle.
Is it possible its not a serious threat?

Thanks

Steve

mfletch 14:32 21 Dec 07

Hi, It;s most possible that it is a false positive!

Sometimes two scanners running at the same time can conflict with each other so Avast picked something up that is not there,

Still wait for other replies just in case it is a Nasty

mfletch

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 21 Dec 07
  SB23 16:39 21 Dec 07

Thanks for the link, and I've read all of it.

It says further down the page that Avast isn't up to the job, but it was Avast that spotted this, while I was scanning with Superantispyware, and placed it in the chest.

It surely still can't be dangerous if its contained within Avast?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 21 Dec 07

Ignore the crap about Avast

I have used Avast for years and trust it implicitly.

If its in the chest its contained.

If everything is working ok then delete it from the chest.
Have a look for any of those extra files mentioned and delete them if found.

SB23 12:02 22 Dec 07

Well, I've exhausted all my various scanners, and have not come up with anything that looks nasty, infact all scans came up clean.
I did turn off system restore then turn on again, as one, had located itself in there. I even erased unused disk space with Eraser after having a good clean.
I shall delete the 2 files from the Avast chest, and will continue to use Avast as, after all,they were spotted by Avast in the first place.

Thanks to all. Will tick.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…