win32.brontok virus

carnoustiejim 18:17 05 Jun 09

hi how can i get rid of the above virus
when i click on the internet i get a message saying security centre alert do you want to block this suspicious file
win32.brontok
risk level high
security box has 3 options keep blocking,unblock both greyed out and enable protection which takes you to a web page (safesoft reviews)
o/s win xp home
thanks kirriejim

Sea Urchin 18:30 05 Jun 09

When you have this type of malware the one thing you shouldn't do is click on anything to "enable protection" or anything else - you will simply compound the problem.

Malwarebytes should get rid of it - download, update and run it

click here

mrwoowoo 18:32 05 Jun 09

If Malwarebytes doesn't work although it should,see if this link helps.
click here

carnoustiejim 20:59 05 Jun 09

hi mrwoowoo everything okay malwarebytes did the trick thanks again kirriejim

mrwoowoo 21:40 05 Jun 09

Thanks to Sea Urchin me thinks(O:!

carnoustiejim 22:27 05 Jun 09

sorry sea urchin brain cells not in tune
thanks for your help kirriejim

Sea Urchin 14:01 06 Jun 09

Thanks for the feedback - perhaps tick and click Resolved

The_Stonker 17:42 19 Jun 09

I just had the same problem as carnoustiejim.

Did a search - found this thread - followed Sea Urchin's guidance and killed the malware - so, thanks to you, SU.

For future reference, this problem is NOT really the Win32.Brontok virus at work (although it mimics the 'unexpected shutdown' behaviour associated with that virus) and it won't be killed by Brontok removal tools.

It is a piece of software designed to sneak on to yr PC, then pretend to be Windows Security Centre.

It gives a false virus alarm, and at the same time offers you a link to download 'remedial' software that - once you pay for it - will likely trash yr PC while pretending to resolve a non-existent problem.

The executable that puts the warning in front of you is:

"C:\Documents and Settings\ . . .\Application Data\Google\orgwy448442.exe"

Once I had figured it out, I found I could kill the process using Windows Task Manager (accessed through Ctrl-Alt-Del), while Malwarebytes did its cleaning work.

Neither AVG Free nor Windows Defender identified the threat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac