Win32.backdoor???

jonmac 20:35 28 Feb 09

I have a persistent Security Centre Alert appearing on top of all other windows which tells me that Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program called Win32.BackDoor-DNM which it says is a trojan that records keystrokes and takes screen shots etc. It then offers to download and activate protection. The only actions it allows are a button labeled "Enable Protection" or the close button at the top right of the box but it comes back after a wee while.
I'm suspicious because I don't have Windows Firewall turned on. I use Zone Alarm and AVG and haven't, to my knowledge suffered any viruses in 12 years, but still the alert returns. I searched the internet for this worm but most of the sites simply offered a download of Spyhunter Spyware detection tool and some dodgy grammar so I'm still suspicious.
I ran an AVG scan of my PC with a clear result (maybe that's fairy obvious)
Can anyone offer advice?

User-1229748 20:38 28 Feb 09

download update and run malwarebytes and superantispyware in safe modeclick here

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:39 28 Feb 09

click here will take you through the removal. I have also found superantispyware free version click here to be a bit better than malwarebytes though.

jonmac 21:21 28 Feb 09

Thanks both, I'll give them a try. Meanwhile I tried a restore to an earlier date but none of them would work...worrying.

jonmac 08:43 01 Mar 09

Well, so far so good. Used superantispyware free version first but it was the other, malwarebytes, that did the trick even though not in safe-mode. I'll leave it for another day then tick the box.

THANKS smackheadz and GANDALPH, YOU'RE WORTH YOUR WEIGHT IN GOLD.

User-1229748 10:18 01 Mar 09

no problem,hope it's worked for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced