Win2k - slow loading desktop

Diodorus Siculus 13:26 22 Apr 06

I did a clean install of Win2k last night on a PC that was riddled with spyware.

It's an old compaq with P2 733 / 256mb RAM.

All components seem to have installed correctly - ie device manager says nothing wrong.

The problem is when starting up, the taskbar loads as does the system tray, but it then seems to pause and take about 40 seconds before the desktop icons start to appear - when they do appear, it works great.

Any thoughs?

MichelleC 13:30 22 Apr 06

Startup Inspector is good for seeing what's on at startup and you can disable as required click here

Diodorus Siculus 13:32 22 Apr 06

I use Mike Lin's startup control panel and there are very few programs / processes loading.

I'll give Startup Inspector a look and see what it suggests.

mike1967 13:53 22 Apr 06

Is 40 seconds really a problem if after that time everything works correctly?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 22 Apr 06

HAve win2k on "works" laptop and it is very slow to load, from pressing the button to getting to desktop allows me to go and mash a cup of tea :0)

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 22 Apr 06

Thanks Fruit Bat; I use Win2k on a couple of machines and it's fine - just didn't like this being the way it is.

Anyway, turned out to be a problem with my network not authenticating - when it is disconnected, it loads in a few seconds.

It's going back to a friend with dial-up so no problems now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…