Win2k pro service pack4 and dial-up connections

3dfx 10:45 21 Aug 03

Hello people.

Well, after I did battle with the blaster worm and got my system updated, I went to the microsoft update site which scanned for updates automatically. I downloaded most of the security patches, critial updates etc, then started downloading SP4 (I had been running SP2 with 100% stability). After a re-start, the machine would get to the "preparing network connections" or sometimes even the login window, before rebooting. The machine wouldn't go into safe mode either. So... I used the "repair" feature from the original win2k CD. After restarting, I was left with a messy original w2k / sp4 mongrel which thought I had sp4 installed, but was actually running IE5 and wouldn't let me upgrade! What a mess. After a long period of swapping SP2 files over from another machine I got the machine stable again, reporting SP2 installed and with IE6 running. BUT: I have lost my dial-up connection, and cannot add one. The "add connection" wizard either goes round in circles asking me if I'm sure I want to quit the wizard, or complains that the connection name I've just typed is not valid.

I have replaced all of the wizard files in the wizard directory with those from another SP2 machine.

Anyone?
Many thanks.

3dfx 11:12 21 Aug 03

Some more info from the event log:

The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied.

Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.

The Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINNT\System32\rastls.dll returned an error while initializing. The network request is not supported.

Ben Avery 11:14 21 Aug 03

I'm running SP4 on Windows 2k and it works a treat for me?

In fact, since installing SP4, the PC shuts down faster than my 98 machine! Have you got the most up to date drivers?

BA

JoeC 11:29 21 Aug 03

click here

they say " restart your computer" to fix it ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…